Teenage and young adulthood is the time when your body undergoes a lot of physical and emotional changes under the influence of hormones. The way you look, feel and interact with a few people may change. An understanding of sexual health is very important during this time to make the right decision regarding sex and form healthy relationships.
Dr. Abhinaya Alluri, Consultant – Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Laparoscopic surgeon & Infertility specialist, CARE Hospitals, Hi-Tec City, Hyderabad, says, “Sexual health is all about how sex affects your physical and emotional health .Good sexual health practices are important to protect yourself from STD ( sexually transmitted diseases ), unwanted pregnancies and unhealthy relationships.”
It is a personal choice if you want to have sex or not .But if you decide to have sex, having safe sexual practices is the only way to go about it. They include:
1. Think twice before entering into any sexual relationship.
2. Talk to your partner about preventing STD and get tested for STD before having sex.
3. Always use some barrier contraception like condoms to protect yourself from STD .
4. Please take your cervical cancer vaccine if not yet taken.
5. Have only a single sexual partner (Monogamous relationship)
6. Know the contraceptive options available and follow the one which suits you better to prevent unplanned pregnancies.
7. Have regular Pap tests, pelvic examinations, and periodic tests for STD.
8. Be aware of your partner’s body. Look for any sore, blister, rash or discharge.
9. Avoid drinking alcohol or using drugs as this increases the chance that you will participate in high-risk sex.
10. And always respect , trust, and communicate with your partner for a healthy relationship.
Why is having healthy sex important?
Many individuals believe that good sexual health is just as vital as good bodily health. According to studies, the vast majority of STDs are preventable. Sexual health is a crucial component of your overall health and wellness and goes far beyond preventing illness or unintended pregnancy.
Discovered on: 2023-02-23 18:30:00
Source: Safe sex: 10 things young adults should know